• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Appetite Suppression

Try drinking green tea, or tea (or plain water) with a slice of lemon. I've found protein/fat dense meals also tend to satiate hunger a lot more than carb heavy meals; I can really binge on carbs :/

I'm really hesitant to give you appetite suppressant tips as from this thread I know you're young and not overweight. Spend too much time worrying about this kind of thing and your body image at your age and you will end up with an eating disorder mate...

^^ Very good advice.

Also, mgmt, if you're working out every day that means you actually need to eat more food anyway. If you're eating HEALTHY foods and not sugary/high-processed crap, then you have nothing to worry about.

Fill your stomach up with water or herbal tea if you're feeling too hungry in between meals.

^ and protein shakes (egg protein is the best but whey isolate is more abundant and is good). Don't use more than you need though cause to much protein will just make you fat.

Skim milk is a really cheap, healthy way to get protein as well. Flavour it with some choc powder.

you may want to check in with your doc... there are rare conditions that can cause the hunger sensation to never turn off. its very rare, and the treatment is just therapy.

None of what I deleted was appropriate for this sub-forum. Keep that advice to yourself next time. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
When you get hungry between meals, drink at least 20oz of water. Then if you are still hungry in 20 minutes, that means you truly are hungry, so eat something.

I too get extremely hungry after exercising. When I get back from biking, I am absolutely ravenous for fresh fruits and vegetables, so I have those handy: Lots of food for not a whole lot of calories. Well, with the vegetables--Fruits are a bit higher in calories.

I know you're trying to lose weight (well, muscle) from your previous thread, but while losing weight, you still need to keep your calories at or above 1400ish for a woman (I'm not sure what it is for a guy, so I won't make up numbers :p). With working out, I'm betting you need a minimum of 2000 calories a day. Are you sure you're eating enough? And is what you're eating healthy?

I know there's another thread just like this one kickin' around somewhere. If I find it, I'll merge or link as that may be beneficial to ya. :)

I don't think that is correct man. I've seen various nutrition gurus on here extinguish that myth.

I don't want to sound like a dick but they're wrong. These nutrition gurus are probably just people that have read website articles sponsored by the companies that make the protein supplements.

//Start Rant
I'm just finishing my degree in the health sciences with one of my majors in exercise physiology and it's amazing how much shit people spread about exercise (I'm not having a go at you, rather at the 'nutrition and exercise gurus' that post the info in the first place). To me It's as annoying as reading an injection instructions post that advocates heating pills without mentioning the consequences. How are [fat] people ever going to get in shape if they don't know the correct information. All this incorrect information stems from corporate greed formed from the huge market that exist for diets, supplements, exercise, ect.
//End Rant

Here is an exert from wiki under excess protein consumption:
"Furthermore, as noted, protein provides the body with 4 calories per gram, and when there is excess protein intake, the body will utilize as much of it for energy as possible.[2] After that stage, the body will produce fat from the excess protein, turning it into fat cells."

Here's the link for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_(nutrient)

Already mentioned is drinking water. Try drinking a full glass of water right before a meal. It'll fill you up more causing you to eat less.

I don't think that is correct man. I've seen various nutrition gurus on here extinguish that myth.

"Furthermore, as noted, protein provides the body with 4 calories per gram, and when there is excess protein intake, the body will utilize as much of it for energy as possible.[2] After that stage, the body will produce fat from the excess protein, turning it into fat cells."

N3o, sorry, but Oxycondone is right. Well, as far as I know from my studies, which say: "A calorie is a calorie is a calorie." You get fat from an excess of calories. Does not matter if that excess is from pure fat, pure carbs, or pure protein. Weight gain is from an excess intake of calories, no matter their source.

^ There is always a rebuttal for an argument. Some say this, some say that. You have to go with what works best for you. For some people, that's three substantial meals a day, while for others (like me) it's a big breakfast, medium-sized lunch, and light dinner, with a small snack after, if need be.

Your appetite is a sign that your mind is not able to grasp what being satiated is. While all of the other advice given here is superb, making it a point to get the low-down on *why* you're doing this is helpful. I'm still working on it myself, before I grab that food I want, to ask why I'm reaching for it and to ask myself if I'm really hungry and if it's my stomach or my head wanting the food. But having backup plans helps.

^ There is always a rebuttal for an argument. Some say this, some say that. You have to go with what works best for you. For some people, that's three substantial meals a day, while for others (like me) it's a big breakfast, medium-sized lunch, and light dinner, with a small snack after, if need be.

So ur sayin basically neither is more beneficial than the other?

Not even scientifically or w.e?

So ur sayin basically neither is more beneficial than the other?

Not even scientifically or w.e?

I'm saying go with what works best for you. To find out what works best for you, you have to try doing something different. Try eating three square meals a day for a couple weeks. Notice an improvement? Keep it up. Try eating "like a king in the morning, queen in the afternoon, and a peasant at night" for a couple weeks. Notice an improvement? Keep at it.

Every person's body is different. There is no magic cure for weight loss, appetite suppression, ... except will power. If you have the will power to do something, to try different options, then you can do it.

You are 16 years old and your body and brain are still developing. You must get enough (or even too much!) nutrition during this time as your body has many more critical growth periods to experience. After seeing this thread on your thread about reducing the size of your legs, I'm convinced you might have body dysmorphic disorder. Females and gay guys are especially at risk as they seem to be the most affected by their social world. You've got your whole life ahead of you to shape and sculpt your body, but try not to worry about perfection too much. It could spiral into an obsession that ruins a great part of your life until you seek treatment.

...okay, except you're still wrong.

A "normal" protein intake is about 70 grams per day. A "high" protein intake is around 130 grams per day. The highest intake you can really safely sustain is something like 250 grams per day. Big-time Zone dieters (who I think are crazy) use 1 gram of protein per pound as a reference, and that's about as high as protein intake can realistically get.

Any higher, and the ability of the body to actually process the stuff pretty much goes to hell and you start to run into toxicity issues.

Even at the most extreme levels of protein intake that the human body can realistically sustain, protein accounts for maybe 1000 calories out of the day. For comparison, the most stringent calorie restriction that is still considered safe is about 1200 calories per day. A normal human, depending on height, weight, and physical activity, takes in anywhere from 2000-3000 calories per day.

That is, even the highest levels of protein intake that your metabolism can reasonably sustain still fall way short of your caloric needs, and they don't get anywhere near hitting an excess. The fact is that it is not safe at all to get more than 40% of your caloric intake from protein alone. The bulk of your caloric intake always comes -- has to come, is absolutely required to come -- from fat and carbohydrates, because that's what the body was designed to handle.

In a reasonable scenario, if a person who is consuming 2500 calories and 80 grams of protein per day decides they're going to eat an extra 50 grams of protein (and that's a goddamn lot of protein), that only brings them up to 2700 calories per day -- a less than 10% change. This can and will be easily offset by a big reduction in hunger.

In theory, could you exceed your caloric needs through excessive protein intake? Yes, but you'll kill yourself long before you manage to do so.

tl;dr: excess protein leads to all sorts of problems but it has nothing to do with weight gain, also, please learn to math.

Last edited: